Monday, September 3, 2007

getting ready to leave!

Hello family and friends!!

I am leaving for Kenya in 3 days - I will be there for 3 1/2 months doing an internship. I decided to create this blog because I thought it might be easy for me to just post my thoughts on here during my time in Kenya.

My email address is laurenehaney@gmail.com - I would love to hear from you while I'm gone. I'm not sure how often I'll be able to access the internet (I think fairly often, but I'm not sure yet), but I will try to write as often as I can!

I will spending my time there working for a non-profit organization called Community Action for Rural Development; their mission statement is as follows: "CARD was founded in 1998 by a group of business and professional philanthropists from the Kakamega district. The mission of the group is commitment to working with communities towards sustainable development in Western Kenya. " They work with people in the community - helping people start their own businesses, spreading HIV/AIDS awareness, education, women's rights, and environmental issues.

I am going through an organization called the Foundation for Sustainable Development, which is based in San Fransisco and sends interns to a variety of places - Africa, India, and Central/South America. Their website is www.fsdinternational.org if you'd like to find out more information!

I am so excited to have this opportunity. I will definitely miss home, but I am so excited to go! Thanks for reading! :)

No comments: